Australian Hotel, The Rocks

The Australian Hotel, in Cumberland Street, The Rocks, was constructed in 1914 as a part of the reconstruction of the Rocks following the post-Plague resumption of the area.

The project entailed research into the history and development of the hotel and the two adjoining shops and residences which formed an integral part of the complex. One of the shops had been gutted by fire. The project was undertaken for the owner of the building, the Sydney Cove Authority (now the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority), and included repainting of the interior and exterior and the rebuilding of the gutted shop and residence.