The Observer Hotel, in George Street North, The Rocks, was constructed in 1909 as a part of the reconstruction of the Rocks following the post-Plague resumption of the area. The building was designed by the noted firm of Halligan and Wilton.
The project involved a comprehensive conservation of the existing building, the addition of a courtyard room and the enlarging of the existing, inadequate Cellar. Enlargement of the cellar revealed the footings of previous buildings on the site, including the cellar of the former hotel on the site prior to resumption by the NSW Government.
The project was undertaken for the owner of the building, the Sydney Cove Authority (now the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority) and also involved close consultation with the licensee of the hotel.