Robertson & Hindmarsh was established in 1953 by Bruce Stewart Robertson (1926-2012) and Thomas Joseph ("Jack") Hindmarsh (1923-2004) as the partnership of B.S. Robertson & Hindmarsh. The partnership was a small practice undertaking projects in a wide variety of fields including education, ecclesiastical, residential, medical & commercial. Much of the work was ground-breaking, award-winning and appeared in numerous publications of the time.
The practice believed that medium density housing was poorly designed in the 1960s and, therefore, set up separate companies to both develop and construct medium density housing utilising the architectural designs of Robertson & Hindmarsh. In the 1970s, Robertson & Hindmarsh pioneered the use of Torrens Title townhouses.
In 1971 the partnership was converted into a proprietary limited company, Robertson & Hindmarsh Pty Ltd.
Scott Robertson joined the practice in 1977 and, in 1979, Jan Robertson joined the practice.
The nature of the practice expanded in the 1980s when Scott Robertson gained qualifications in heritage architecture and Jan Robertson in horticulture.
Robertson & Hindmarsh is an award-winning practice that undertakes projects across Sydney and NSW.